New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

If I Live And Work In China But Have A Hong Kong Employment Visa Can I Get Dependant Visas For My Family?

April 29th, 2024

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Dependant Visas

To live in Hong Kong requires a place to lay your head here each night. What happens to your application for dependant visas for your family if you don’t have anywhere for them to live?


I have held a Hong Kong employment visa for the last 3 years.

 But most of the time I work in Shenzhen, China.

 I am here with my family  but I am thinking about moving them to Hong Kong finally for good education and other reasons etc.

 Now I want to apply dependant visas for them, my wife and two kids .

 But I do not have tenancy lease agreement to show residence proof .

 Please advise!


The very bottom line to this question is that in order to get dependent visas for your family to come and live in Hong Kong you need to be able to show that you can put food on their table and a roof over their head. Now, the fact that you have an employment and an employment visa, that will be sufficient for you to be able to show the immigration point where you can put food on their table, roof over the head is mission critical.

The problem that you’re facing is that because you presently have an employment visa the expectation is that right now you are resident in Hong Kong because usually the Immigration Department will not afford residence visas to people who are actually working in China; because you need visa to work in China, not in Hong Kong.

However, they’re cognizant of the fact that a lot of travelling goes on across the border. So in the main, they typically don’t second guess what the residential arrangements are if you’ve got a good Hong Kong employer and your employment in Hong Kong continues. However, insofar as making an application for a dependent visa goes as an existing resident and certainly having been here for three years at the point of making your application for the dependent visa, you will need to show that you have got accommodation for your family.

So in order to facilitate dependent visa applications, my advice is that you get to Hong Kong, rent a place, and once you’ve got a tenancy agreement, submit your applications for the dependent visas, and I think you’ll find that they will be granted to you without too many problems. But you are going to need to have a tenancy agreement for sure.

Okay, I hope you find this useful.

VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Dependant Visas

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

How Is My Dependant Visa Impacted Under The Admission Of Mainland Talents And Professionals Scheme  If My Sponsor-Father Goes Back To China To Work?

Can I Get A Hong Kong Dependant Visa For My Chinese Spouse Presently Resident On The Mainland?

Am I Eligible For An Extension To My Hong Kong Dependant Visa  If My PHKID Holding Spouse Doesn’t Actually Live Here Any More?

What Are Your Visa Options If Your Marriage In Hong Kong Has Irretrievably Broken Down?

Why Public Internet Forums Are A Cr@P Source Of Hong Kong Visa & Immigration Advice




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...