New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

I Lived in Hong Kong for 11 Years – and Have Been Gone for the Last 7 – Can I Still Get Permanent Residency?

December 1st, 2019

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published March 13, 2013

It happens a lot more often that you might imagine. You’d think that the many early years in Hong Kong ought to count towards your right of abode but all too often disappointment is in the offing…


Thank you very much for this informative website! I hope you’ll be able to answer my question, I’m not sure if its a common scenario or not.

I was born in Singapore and I lived in Hong Kong from 1994 – 2005 (11 years) and moved when I was nearly 11 because of my father’s job, and it has now been 7 years since I left to go and live in Thailand.

My mother has a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (and was working for an airline there) but I do not. I had a dependant visa endorsed in my passport at the time I left with my parents.

This usually wouldn’t be a problem after leaving Hong Kong, however there are two education sponsorship programmes that I would like to apply for in Hong Kong which requires you to have a permanent HKID.

I have gone to the immigration office about three times in the past 7 years as we do go back quite often, and every time we ask an officer, he says “if you are living in Hong Kong, you can apply for permanent residency.”

Is this true?

Seeing as I have already clocked up 11 years in Hong Kong, all I am missing in the application form is the current residency card.

Does this mean that if I go to university in Hong Kong starting August this year, that I could get my residency card, and then with that, apply for my permanent residency?

The way I see it, although I have been away for a considerably long time, but I am coming back, so this would technically be my 11th year total living in Hong Kong (and I have proof of having been there for 7 years ‘ordinarily’ with my school records, etc.)

I hope my question was clear enough and thank you very much in advance!

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

Does my child get the right of abode in Hong Kong if she wasn’t born there but I have the right to land?

What can be said to constitute ‘ordinary residence’ for the purposes of a Hong Kong right of abode application?

Can you get the right of abode if you were a Hong Kong Belonger many years ago?

So, just what is the deal with the right to land in Hong Kong anyway?

Strategy on how to craft an argument to appeal a refused Hong Kong right of abode application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...