New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Will a Short Period of Time Away From Hong Kong Break My Continuity of Residence for My Eventual Right of Abode Application?

February 16th, 2018

Posted in Employment Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Short period of time away from Hong Kong break my continuity of residence?


Sometimes, continuity of ordinary residence can inadvertently be broken due to factors outside of your control…


I recently graduated from a Hong Kong university after 2 years of permanent study.

Due to circumstances I had to return to my home country for a few months, however I am due to return to Hong Kong next month to take up employment and apply for a Non-Local Graduate Visa.

Will my absence from Hong Kong be viewed in the long term by the Immigration Department as a break in continuous residence for my right of abode application subsequently? 

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

10 Must Have resources for any Hong Kong investment visa application

Is it actually getting harder to get a Hong Kong investment visa application approved?

I have a socially advantageous yet modestly capitalised business plan – can I get an investment visa for Hong Kong?

Why internet forums are a cr@p source of Hong Kong visa and immigration advice

But Stephen, how do you make any money if you give away all of your Hong Kong visa expertise away for free?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...