New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can You Remain in Hong Kong Under an Employment Visa Sponsored by an ex-Employer & Run a Hong Kong Sole Proprietorship Providing Services Outside of Hong Kong (Mostly)?

July 29th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, Investment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published November 27, 2017

Unusual set of facts in this case and a question never posed to me in this fashion previously…


Remain in Hong Kong under an Employment Visa sponsored by an ex-Employer?


I have been in Hong Kong since 2011 under an employment visa but have recently quit my job.

The last time my visa was renewed it was extended until November 2018 and I understand I still have the privilege to reside in Hong Kong until then even if my employment has ended.

I now have a consultancy agreement with a firm based in Singapore for which I provide services independently.

The fieldwork (which represents 80% of the work) takes place outside of Hong Kong, I only write up my reports from home in Hong Kong.

I have registered a sole proprietorship business to report the consultancy income for tax purposes.

However, I guess I am not supposed to work under the current conditions of my stay.

My questions are:

(1) Could the fact of reporting that income to the tax authorities actually trigger some issues on the immigration side?

(2) If I was to apply for a business investment visa as an entrepreneur and it was rejected, could that trigger the Immigration Department to cancel my current permission of stay until November 2018?

What is in your opinion the best thing to do?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The economy at home is very bad – so what investment visa options exist for you in Hong Kong?

I have a socially advantageous yet modestly capitalized business plan for Hong Kong – will I get an investment visa?

What’s the situation about the need for business premises as part of your Hong Kong investment visa application?

What’s the minimum capital required for a Hong Kong investment visa?

10 must have resources for a successful Hong Kong investment visa application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...