New Content Daily Sign Up Here


Can You Keep Your Hong Kong Employment Visa if You Are Being Transferred to Live & Work in China?

February 20th, 2015

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, Musing, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza /


Can you live in China yet remain a HK resident with a valid Hong Kong employment visa?



We are a married couple with children and have lived in Hong Kong for 3.5 years. 

We are moving to Shanghai soon (my husband’s employer is moving us).   

We currently have a Hong Kong employment visa for my husband and dependent visas for myself and kids; these expire a couple months after we move. 

We still plan to visit Hong Kong reasonably frequently (every 3-4 months) after we leave. 

 Is there any way for us to maintain Hong Kong residence after we move, (i.e. renew and maintain our existing visas)? 

 In case it’s relevant, while we have been living in Hong Kong, almost all of my husband’s work has actually been conducted in mainland China (he travels there all the time) we just live here.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The seven responsibilities of a Hong Kong employment visa sponsor

Hong Kong employment visa – teenage high school graduate gets approved

What are you really buying from a Hong Kong immigration consultant?

How are mainland applicants for visas issued under the Hong Kong General Employment Policy treated differently from other foreign nationals?

How important are word of mouth referrals to the Hong Kong Visa Centre?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...