New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Happens to Your Hong Kong Right of Abode if, as a UK Citizen, You Choose to Naturalise as a Taiwanese National?

November 20th, 2012

Posted in Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


One of the really neat things about running this Blog, is the incredibly varied type of Hong Kong visa and immigration question I receive. Like this one today, which is a definite first for me!


Hello, I am a white British person considering applying for Taiwanese Citizenship.

I also have PR in Hong Kong. If I got a Taiwanese passport does the Hong Kong government consider me to now be ‘Chinese’ or do they not respect the authority of the Taiwanese government to issue such a status?

Eg, If I leave Hong Kong for 36 months will I keep PR or lose it?

More Stuff You May Find Informative

Can you get the right of abode if you were a Hong Kong Belonger many years ago?

Why would you choose unconditional stay after 7 years residence in Hong Kong when the right of abode is available instead?

Will the 2 years that I spent studying in China break my continuity of residence for the purposes of a right of abode application?

I am an overseas Chinese and my mother holds a permanent ID card and a HKSAR passport – do I have the right of abode in Hong Kong?

10 must have resources for a successful right of abode application in Hong Kong




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...