New Content Daily Sign Up Here


What Are the Chances of Being Allowed Back if You Overstay Your Hong Kong Visa and Are Then Convicted of that Crime?

May 12th, 2015

Posted in Musing, Refusals & Appeals, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas /


It is NEVER a good idea to overstay your Hong Kong visa for the reasons set out below…



I previously overstayed my Visitor visa for a period of 13 months;  I reported to the Immigration Department, was charged and at Sha Tin court I was convicted and given a suspended sentence of 6 months. I bought my air ticket and I was allowed to leave Hong Kong on my own without being formally deported.

This was in June 2008.

Later I tried to return to Hong Kong in 2009 but at the airport I was refused entry and I was told by an Immigration Officer that I can apply for a visa before coming to Hong Kong, as a visa on arrival is not available in my case.

I submitted my Visitor visa application through a friend of mine (who is a permanent resident of Hong Kong) but my application was refused.

2 years later (that is in 2011) I applied again for a Visitor visa via the same sponsor and once again my application was refused.

I wrote an email to the Immigration Department asking if I was blacklisted from entering Hong Kong.

I was told I am not blacklisted, yet my applications keep being rejected.

Can you kindly suggest any measures that I can take to apply successfully for a Visitor visa? I have a local sponsor in Hong Kong and any information/suggestion from you will be of immense help.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

I have technically overstayed my Hong Kong employment visa by one day but have no job – what happens now?

You accidentally overstay your Hong Kong work visa yet need to change employer – what do you do now?

What chance is there that the Hong Kong Immigration Department will grant a visa to a foreign national who previously overstayed by five-and-a-half years?

Will-He-or-Won’t-He? Mike Tyson, his criminal record & his Hong Kong visa…

Will the Immigration Department extend my employment visa if I am subject to a police investigation?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...