New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: Can I Get an Employment Visa Again if I Still Owe Taxes From the Last Time I Worked in Hong Kong?

February 23rd, 2014

Posted in Case Study, Employment Visas, Feature Article, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


What is the interplay between unpaid taxes and a Hong Kong employment visa application subsequently?

Watch this video on YouTube.



I worked in Hong Kong last year, 2013, and left the city mid year after my work terminated.

When I left, my company filed a IR56G “leaving Hong Kong” tax form for me with the IRD.

However, I never followed up to see how much remainder taxes I owed for salary in 2013.

Now, I have just received an offer to come back to Hong Kong and the employer will be applying for a work visa for me.

Will my visa have difficulty being approved if I may have IRD payments to make?

I do not wish to delay my work visa from being approved. 

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Do you need a Hong Kong employment visa if you work for a Hong Kong company but not in Hong Kong?

Is there such an Animal as a ‘Flexible Working Visa’ for Hong Kong?

Interview: Do you think that IANG allows a loophole for foreign graduates to game the immigration system here?

Lame excuses won’t cut it if you’re caught working in Hong Kong without an employment visa

What will the Immigration Department make of a third party objection to an application for a Hong Kong Investment Visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...