New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Is There Any Fixed Residency Requirement for Retention of a Hong Kong Employment Visa?

September 24th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, Investment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Not every stint for work or business means full time residency in Hong Kong so what to do about ‘half-timers’?


I am pursuing options to take up employment in Hong Kong and would like to know if there is any residence requirement for retention of a work visa. For example, how long can one be absent from the country in any one year?  This issue is important to me because I also wish to retain my employment/investment interest in the middle east and so am looking at a six month in Hong Kong – six month abroad arrangement.

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

How do you prove to the Hong Kong Immigration Department that you have tried to recruit locally?

When there really is no need to spend money with a Hong Kong Immigration Consultant

How can presently unemployed investment bankers reorganize their careers to remain in Hong Kong?

What’s the deal if you’re in Hong Kong  with a dependant visa & your employment visa holding spouse wants to leave but you want to stay?

The Newcomer’s guide to getting a Hong Kong employment visa (INFOGRAPHIC)




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...