New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Does My Child Get the Right of Abode if She Wasn’t Born in Hong Kong But I Have the Right to Land?

May 2nd, 2020

Posted in Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published December 25, 2012


A relatively straightforward answer to, what can be, quite a complex question dealing with ‘Hong-Kong-immigration status-by-descent’ for foreign nationals born in the HKSAR.


I was born in Hong Kong  (I am a British passport holder and of British parents). I do not have ***.

My daughter was born in the US and has a US passport and a British passport.  We have lived back in Hong Kong since 2010 and she has had a visa for school. She was born in 2003.

Does she need to spend 7 continuous years here in HK or can I apply for permanent residency for her because I was born here?

Thank you

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Can you get the right of abode if you were a Hong Kong belonger many years ago?

Why would you choose unconditional stay after 7 years residence in Hong Kong if the right of abode is available instead?

So, just what IS the deal with the right to land in Hong Kong anyway?

The right of abode in Hong Kong for foreign nationals – when does the clock start ticking?

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...