New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Remain in Hong Kong as a Dependant Visa Holder if My Spouse Has Died?

June 10th, 2022

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


What can you do about your dependant visa status in Hong Kong if you have sadly lost your much loved spouse-as-sponsor?




I came to Hong Kong on a dependent visa (my wife, a PR, sponsoring me).

I have already completed 3.5 years and my visa is about due for extension.

The dilemma I face is that I lost my wife who died last year and now I am left with no sponsor in Hong Kong.

Will I be repatriated back to my origin of country or do have any chance to remain in Hong Kong?

My earnings here presently average HKD 345,000 per year.

Can I remain in Hong Kong as a dependant visa holder if my spouse has died?

Please advise. Thank you.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

10 Must Have resources for a Hong Kong legal dependant visa

Will redundancy impact your eligibility for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong?

How to Gee Up a Hong Kong visa application that is taking a long time to process

The anatomy of a ‘Slam Dunk’ Hong Kong investment visa application taking just 7 weeks to approval!

Hong Kong investment visa wrongly applied for – clearing up the confusion & getting the correct employment visa instead




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...