New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can a Hong Kong Training Visa Be Used As a Stepping Stone to a Full Employment Visa?

May 28th, 2018

Posted in Employment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


The Hong Kong Training Visa is an oft-misunderstood animal. This question is an excellent opportunity to discuss its nature – and what you can and can’t do if you possess one.



I’m currently working in Hong Kong under a training visa. I need to go on to an employment visa.

Can I do this?

I have 3 years experience in this type of work from my time in Australia and have a degree in Small Business Studies.

I came to Hong Kong to do the same line of work but took a  training visa just to see if  I like it and could adapt well.

Now I find that I have and want to get an employment visa.

Do you think this is possible if my company changes my contract? All the staff except for me are local.

Alternatively should I just try to extend and get a  further 6 months under my training visa ?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Waiting in the wings – the typical experience of a foreign national spouse in the Hong Kong visa application process

Your employer must help you secure an employment visa for Hong Kong

The 7 things to tell your employer about Hong Kong employment visa sponsorship

Shareholder in the company employing you – what do the HKID think?

Can I employ myself by getting a Hong Kong business investment visa?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...