New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

How Can I Resign From My Current Job BEFORE My Hong Kong Change of Employer Application Has Been Approved?

November 8th, 2017

Posted in Employment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong change of employer application – how can you readily manage the should-you-resign-before-your-change-of-work-visa-sponsorship-application-has-been-approved conundrum?



I have held a Hong Kong work visa for 2 .5 years now and I am currently in the process of finalizing an offer letter with a new employer here.

I need your advice in relation to the timing of me notifying my current employer that I am set to leave.

So should I resign after a sign the offer letter or wait for my change of employer / work visa application to get approved from Hong Kong Immigration Department?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Does the Hong Kong change of employment visa sponsorship process compel me to disclose the reason why I left my last job?

Will the Hong Kong Immigration Department extend my employment visa if I am subject to a pending police investigation?

Will I get kicked out of Hong Kong if I have lost my job here?

Can you continue to work if you find yourself in the Hong Kong visa extension ‘Twilight Zone’?

What can be said to constitute ‘ordinary residence’ for the purposes of a Hong Kong right of abode application?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...