New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Hong Kong Employment Visa – Can I Transfer to Malaysia for Work Yet Leave My Family Behind in Hong Kong to Carry On Our Lives Here?

December 16th, 2020

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Is it possible to stop working in Hong Kong under an employment visa, move to another country to work yet leave your family behind to continue their lives in here without you day to day?


Hi, I have got valid Hong Kong employment visa and i am living in Hong Kong since last 4 years with my family.

Now for work I might have to shift to Malaysia.

But as my daughter has recently started school, I want my family to stay in Hong Kong.

So what are my options here?

Can I ask my company to apply for extension even though I will be mainly based in Malaysia?


Should I apply for the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme?


Any other suggestion?

Worst case scenario my family moves with me to Malaysia but I want to avoid as it will disturb my whole family.

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Can I look for a job in Hong Kong if I only have a visitor visa? 

But Stephen, how do you make any money when you give all your expertise away for free?

100% visa application success rate? Take it all with a pinch of salt

Paying for visa help? The Who’s-Who of the Hong Kong immigration services industry

The Visa Geeza on RTHK Radio 3




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...