New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Do You Need a Hong Kong Employment Visa if You Work For a Hong Kong Company But Not in Hong Kong?

February 5th, 2018

Posted in Employment Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Do the Hong Kong Immigration Department expect every foreign national employee of Hong Kong registered companies to have employment visas even if they have never worked (or never will work) in the HKSAR?



Is there any problem with a Hong Kong registered company employing someone currently resident in Malaysia for a role supporting one of our clients offices in Malaysia? 

I don’t think a Hong Kong employment visa is required because he won’t work here and in the short term at least he can work in Malaysia on a visitor visa as long as he is employed offshore.

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Can an offshore company sponsor a Hong Kong employment or  business investment visa?

I possess an APEC travel card – will it tangibly assist me in my Hong Kong investment visa application?

Hong Kong employment visa holder  – which is better, join in a side business first or go for full investment visa permissions directly?

Getting professional help with your Hong Kong visa application on the cheap!

Reloacting to Hong Kong for work or business – the last 20 years!




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...