New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can My Dependant Child Go On to Become a Hong Kong Permanent Resident if I am Not Married to His Mother?

December 19th, 2021

Posted in Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published On July 17, 2013

Children born in Hong Kong to a Hong Kong permanent resident have their eligibility for permanent identity cards established at birth. But what if the child is born to a Hong Kong permanent resident not married to its mother and where the child was born outside of Hong Kong?



First, many thanks for your time.

I’m a permanent resident of Hong Kong and my son (now 2 years and 5 months) was born in Malaysia and has a Malaysian passport.

I applied for a dependency visa for him in 2012 and was granted a one-year visa in November of that year. He has spent 8 months in Hong Kong so far.

His mother is not a dependant (indeed I’m still married to another woman) but there is no conflict between us – we want what’s best for the child.

Is it correct to say that if I can get my son on the 3 x 3 dependant visa pattern he will be able in the end to apply for a permanent ID card?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Checking the status of your Hong Kong visa application on line – yeah right!

The Hong Kong Immigration Department are out to refuse – not approve – visa applications (aren’t they?)

ImmD – what an efficient organisation they really are!

Winning a Hong Kong right of abode application in record time – just 4 days!

How to Gee Up a Hong Kong visa application that is taking too long to finalise




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...