New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Study Online for a UK Tertiary Qualification while Staying in Hong Kong with a Visitor Visa?

February 5th, 2023

Posted in The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


This question gets to the heart of permitted activity as a Visitor and the ability to remain here on an indefinite basis on that status.


Hi, I am a New Zealander currently staying in Hong Kong with my partner who is a permanent HKID card holder.

I do not have a HKID card, just a tourist visa, and I wish to study a university degree via correspondence (online study) from a UK university.

Do I need a Hong Kong student visa or a visa of any kind to do this?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

How to establish your bona fides as a non-business frequent visitor to Hong Kong

Hong Kong visas – the long stay visitor’s awkward predicament

Is it ever OK to work in Hong Kong on a visitor visa?

The visa dilemma of an unmarried trailing partner seeking to work in Hong Kong

I have an employment visa and I want to bring my  girlfriend to Hong Kong – what are my options?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...