New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Lawfully Rent an Apartment in Hong Kong as a Frequent Visitor – What Would the Immigration Department Make of That?

December 2nd, 2017

Posted in The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


If you find yourself often in Hong Kong as a frequent Visitor is it lawful and / or possible to rent an apartment in order to keep accommodation expenses down…



I’m an Expat based in Thailand & often come to Hong Kong for meetings or transit for business trips to China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan.

 Let’s say roughly 10-14 days a month, with an average of 2-3 entries.

Since hotel costs are ticking up & I can’t leave documents in a safe place, I’m considering renting a 850 sqf apartment in Wanchai.

Would this be a problem for Immigration?

Can I rent an apartment in Hong Kong as a Visitor?

I’m on the frequent traveler program & get 3 months entry visa.

Thank you for your feedback

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Is it ever OK to work in Hong Kong on a visitor visa?

Will the Hong Kong Immigration Department extend your visitor visa if you ask them to?

The long-stay visitor’s awkward predicament

Is the Travel Pass as good as a Hong Kong employment visa?

Will any time you spend in Hong Kong as a visitor count towards the magic 7 years for the right of abode?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...