New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can Elderly Parents Come to Live With Their Son Who Only Holds a Hong Kong Employment Visa?

May 18th, 2022

Posted in Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


if you hold a Hong Kong employment visa, bringing elderly parents to join you in Hong Kong is an area of immigration practice that is fraught with difficulty – as well as uncertainty. Dependant visas are, as a matter of policy, not available for non permanent residents yet it’s a scenario that presents itself all too frequently. This question provides an opportunity to discuss the visa possibilities in this situation.



“Can my husband and I aged 70 and 71 join our, son a banker, whilst he holds a Hong Kong employment visa for approximately 2-4 years ?  We are UK citizens and have pensions. We would live with him and his family there.”

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Pathways to Hong Kong residency

Hong Kong travel pass used to keep an extended family together – quite lawfully

Is it better to apply for your visa before or after you move to Hong Kong?

What’s it like operating the Hong Kong Visa Centre as a virtual business?

How long should you wait after a rejected Hong Kong employment visa application before trying again?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...