New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What’s the Deal if You’re in Hong Kong With a Dependant Visa & Your Employment Visa Holding Spouse Wants to Leave but You Want to Stay?

January 20th, 2023

Posted in Employment Visas, Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


First Published On April 11, 2013 – Still Relevant

What’s the deal if you’re in Hong Kong with a dependant visa and your spouse wants to leave but you want to stay?



I am here on a dependent visa with my husband. He is planning to leave his employment in Hong Kong and return to his home country but I am thinking of staying for a couple more years.

What happens with my dependent visa (limit of stay in 2014) when he quits his job and leaves?

Can I, too, use my consents to reside in Hong Kong even though only via a dependent visa to look for an employer to then change my visa status?

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

What are your visa options in Hong Kong if your marriage has irretrievably broken down?

Are there any advantages to being an existing resident of Hong Kong when you make an application for an investment visa?

Extending your dependant visa after divorce

If I stop working for my current employer will my employment visa remain valid?

The 5 key factors which impact on your eligibility for a Hong Kong employment visa




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...