New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

QOTW: What Do ImmD Make of Getting Married Here When Applying for a Hong Kong Dependant Visa?

August 22nd, 2015

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


Does a simple trip to ‘city hall’ solve all your Hong Kong dependant visa problems?


I am American. I have just accepted a role in Hong Kong.

My employer is about to begin my visa paperwork to sponsor me for an employment visa.

However, my girlfriend is Australian and I want her to come with me and ideally also be able to work.

We are both 30 almost 31.

One option is a shot gun marriage here in the US.

However, I was wondering what the policy is on her coming to Hong Kong on a tourist/holiday visa and once in Hong Kong with me us getting married there?

Is that possible and if so once it has been performed can I get her added onto my visa as a spouse easily enough?

Any advice is greatly received.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What happens if you inadvertently breach your conditions of stay by taking up an unauthorised employment in Hong Kong without first applying for a change of sponsorship?

How can an overseas company temporarily sponsor employment visa permissions for Hong Kong?

How onerous is the sponsorship role in a Hong Kong investment visa application?

The perils of contriving a job offer just for the purposes of a Hong Kong employment visa application

How to get a Hong Kong employment visa automatically with no questions asked!


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...