New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can a Foreign Domestic Helper Working in Hong Kong for 30 Years Automatically Secure the Right of Abode After Marrying a Hong Kong Permanent Resident?

September 5th, 2020

Posted in Family Visas, Long Stay & PR, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Your Question Answered /


The question of right of abode for FDH’s in Hong Kong is a wound that continues to bleed…



If a Philippine domestic helper has been in Hong Kong continuously for 30 years can she obtain permanent residency after marrying a foreign (British) permanent resident?

If not, can she remain in Hong Kong under any other visa category?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Right of abode for foreign domestic helper working in Hong Kong – it was all so inevitable really

What can be said to constitute ‘ordinary residence’ for the purposes of a right of abode application in Hong Kong?

Will I still qualify for the right of abode if I worked temporarily in Macau yet lived in Hong Kong for the full 7 years?

Do I need to work for the same employer for 7 years in order to qualify for permanent residency in Hong Kong?

Why applying for a Hong Kong FDH visa for your girlfriend is not a good idea




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...